Registrar of Vital Statistics
732-787-0215 Ext 114
HOW TO APPLY FOR A MARRIAGE OR CIVIL UNION LICENSE
The application can be filed in the town that either applicant resides, or either civil union partner resides. If both reside outside of New Jersey, they must apply in the town in which the marriage or civil union will be performed. Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
The marriage applicants or civil union partners must appear together with one witness, who is at least 18 years of age.
- You must know the date you wish to have your marriage, remarriage or civil union performed and who will officiate the ceremony.
- You should apply in the municipality that either applicant resides.
- If both applicants reside outside of New Jersey and the ceremony is to be held in Borough of Keansburg, the application can be made in this municipality but the application will only be valid in this Borough.
The marriage applicants, or civil union partners must bring the following ID:
1. Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal ID.
2. Proof of your residency (business mail, lease, tax return, any type of bill with address)
3. Social Security card or Social Security number.
4. A witness, 18 years of age or older.
5. $28.00 either cash, check or money order
There is a State mandated 72 hour waiting period for a marriage/civil union license.
WE SUGGEST YOU MAKE YOUR APPOINTMENT AS LEAST ONE MONTH BEFORE YOU PLAN TO GET MARRIED.
Please apply for Marriage/Civil Union License 30 days prior to marriage or civil union.
Once the license is picked up, the ceremony must take place within 30 days or the license will expire. If your license expires, you must reapply and purchase another license.
The license is filed by the Officiant in the town in which the Marriage or Civil Union takes place. Certified copies with a raised seal are available from the Registrar’s Office in the town where the event took place. Only a certified copy is proof of marriage/civil union.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to find an Officiant to perform the ceremony. Keansburg does not have any Officiants at Borough Hall.
Appointments are required for marriage or civil union applications. Please call 732-787-0215 Ext. 114. The office is open Monday-Wednesday.
A Certificate of Domestic Partnership may be registered by applicants of the same sex or of the opposite sex who are 62 years of age or older and meet any of the criteria listed below. Affidavits may be obtained from this office and must be notarized before being filed.
An appointment is required and may be made by calling 732-787-0215 Ext. 114.
- The fee is $28 payable by cash, check or money order
- Provide valid identification that establishes name, age, and date of birth
- Identify a common residence in New Jersey or share a common residence in another jurisdiction if at least one of the applicants is a member of a New Jersey State administered retirement system.
- Provide proof of joint financial responsibility as evidenced by one or more of the following:
- Joint deed, mortgage agreement or lease
- Joint bank account
- Designation of one of the persons as primary beneficiary in the other person’s will
- Designation of one of the persons as primary beneficiary in the other person’s life insurance policy or retirement plan
- Joint ownership of a motor vehicle
Acceptable Forms of Identification
Valid photo driver’s license or photo non-driver’s license with current address.
Valid driver’s license without photo and an alternate form of ID with current address.
Two alternate forms of ID, one of which must show the current address.
Alternate Forms of ID:
Vehicle insurance card
Permanent Resident Card (Green card)
Utility bill (within the previous 90 days)
Bank Statement (within previous 90 days)
W-2 or tax return for current or previous year
People who are homeless can provide identification from a social worker or homeless shelter coordinator.
People who are incarcerated can provide legal imprisonment, conviction papers or release documents that include the name, social security number and all possible aliases used in the past or identification from a prison/probation official.
Please do not send in original ID documents. Only copies are required.